Pastry Chefs , Chef Jeff Henderson, Aired on Tue 5/26
Beignets, Red Velvet, Erin Swanson
The Back Story
Recipe Provided by Exec. Pastry Chef Erin Swanson, Restaurant R’evolution
*Yields: 40-42 beignets
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 5 7/8 ounces warm water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon citric acid or ascorbic acid
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl add the yeast, 1 tsp of the sugar, and the warm water. Whisk and let sit for 10 minutes or until the yeast is bubbly. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, and shortening. To the yeast, add the rest of the sugar, salt, egg, evaporated milk, and red food coloring. Using the dough hook on the mixer, mix the ingredients until combined. Add ½ cup of the flour and mix the dough. Slowly add the rest of the flour, cocoa and shortening mixture, scraping the sides down to incorporate. Once all of the flour is added, take the dough out of the bowl and using flour, roll into a large ball. Place the dough in a floured bowl, wrap with plastic and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out using flour to a ¼ inch thickness. Using a pizza cutter cut the dough into 2 inch by 2 ½ inch rectangles.
- Mix the powdered sugar and citric acid together in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a large pot, heat vegetable oil to 350F and fry the beignets about 6 at a time for 3 to 4 minutes moving them around somewhat frequently. Remove the beignets from oil and rest on a paper towel then immediately add to the powdered sugar and citric acid mixture. Serve immediately.
Meet the Guest Stars
Chef Jeff Henderson rose from humble beginnings in South Central Los Angeles to become the first African-American executive chef at the Bellagio Hotel. He has gone on to become a successful TV host with a cable show on the Food Network, a nationally syndicated series called, Family Style with Chef Jeff and the host of Flip My Food. When he isn’t cooking on TV he’s a highly sought-after motivational speaker, sharing the secrets of realizing your potential at... (full profile)