WHAT TO DO
1. Season pork with salt and black pepper. Brown on all sides in a hot oiled pan. Set aside.
2. In a 4-to 6-quart crock-pot, add pork, 1 ¾ cup salsa, chili powder, oregano, bay leaf, cocoa powder, jalapeno pepper, chicken stock and beer.
3. On low heat, cook covered until meat is tender and pulls apart easily, about 7 to 8 hours. Using 2 forks, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid. Serve with tortillas, cilantro, avocado, sour cream, cheese and lime.
- 1 ½ lbs. pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups store-bought salsa, save ½ cup for garnish
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup low sodium chicken stock
- ½ bottle corona beer
- 1 dozen yellow corn tortillas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 avocado ripe but firm, sliced
- ¾ cup low fat sour cream
- ½ cup Mexican cheese, crumbled
- 1 lime, cut into wedges