Boom Boom Boom
Chef visits a unique restaurant and wine bar in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The friendly atmosphere at the Boom Boom rooms makes for a perfect evening sharing great wine and delicious tapas including zesty duck tacos, smoked salmon dip and Mexican braised short ribs
What To Do
1. Remove the chicken tender and place the chicken breasts shiny side up. Use a mallet to flatten the breasts and tenders to ¼-inch thickness. Cut the flattened chicken into 1-inch(ish) squares. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Set out 3 medium bowls. Place flour in one, crack the eggs into the second and beat them, and add panko, parmesan, oregano and thyme in the third. Line the three bowls in a row.
3. Toss about a third of the chicken in flour until well covered, then swirl in egg until well soaked, and finally, roll in panko mixture until completely covered. Transfer to a plate and repeat process with remaining chicken.
4. In a frying pan, over medium-high heat, melt butter and add oil. When butter begins to sizzle add chicken. Cook for approximately 3 minutes on the first side, or until bottom is golden brown. Turn once and cook for approximately 2 more minutes, or until the second side is golden brown and the nuggets are cooked throughout. To test for doneness, make a small incision in a sacrificial nugget. If any pink remains, return to heat for another minute or two.
5. Transfer your future pops to a plate. Remove pan from heat and immediately add lemon juice. Stir for ten to fifteen seconds to loosen up brown bits and let the lemon juice reduce by half. Drizzle a few drops over each tender and season with salt. Insert skewer through chicken, then stick skewers in pineapple.
Yield 12 – 16 popsicles
Uncommon goods 6-inch bamboo skewers
Level of difficulty Think Shake 'N Bake.
Active prep 20 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Shortcuts Buy Italian-style bread crumbs that are seasoned with herbs and cheese.
Advance work Chicken can be breaded earlier in the day and refrigerated on a plate.
Multiplicity For each additional batch of popsicles, make an additional half recipe of the bread crumb mixture.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup panko or coarse bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan (ideally parmigianno reggiano)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 watermelon wedge (for presentation)
- 16 6-inch bamboo skewers
Speedway Harley , Chef Jeff Henderson, Aired on Wed 6/22
The Back Story
WHAT YOU NEED
6 cups canola oil
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
2 jalapenos, deseeded, chopped
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheese
WHAT TO DO
In a deep fryer or large pot, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, chives, baking powder, salt and garlic powder.
In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk and vinegar. Add to cornmeal mixture, and stir until blended. Fold in jalapenos and cheddar cheese.
Drop a teaspoon of hushpuppy mixture into hot oil. Fry on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Meet the Guest Stars
Chef Jeff Henderson rose from humble beginnings in South Central Los Angeles to become the first African-American executive chef at the Bellagio Hotel. He has gone on to become a successful TV host with a cable show on the Food Network, a nationally syndicated series called, Family Style with Chef Jeff and the host of Flip My Food. When he isn’t cooking on TV he’s a highly sought-after motivational speaker, sharing the secrets of realizing your potential at... (full profile)