Sweet Potato Soup
Plantation , Chef Jeff Henderson, Houmas House, Aired on Wed 12/17
Soup, Sweet Potato
The Back Story
- Place potatoes into a pot with 3 cups chicken stock and bring to a simmer until the sweet potatoes are cooked through, about 10 to 13 minutes
- Strain sweet potatoes into a blender and pour in 1 cup of chicken stock
- Add the cream and the cinnamon
- Puree until the mixture is smooth; adjust consistency with chicken stock if needed
- Mix a pinch of cinnamon with the Greek yogurt and honey
- Add a spoonful to the warm soup when serving
Meet the Guest Stars
Chef Jeff Henderson rose from humble beginnings in South Central Los Angeles to become the first African-American executive chef at the Bellagio Hotel. He has gone on to become a successful TV host with a cable show on the Food Network, a nationally syndicated series called, Family Style with Chef Jeff and the host of Flip My Food. When he isn’t cooking on TV he’s a highly sought-after motivational speaker, sharing the secrets of realizing your potential at... (full profile)
Houmas House Plantation and Gardens has reclaimed its position as Crown Jewel of Louisiana's River Road.
Through the vision and determination of Kevin Kelly, who fulfilled a lifelong dream by acquiring the property in the Spring of 2003, the mansion today reflects the best parts of each period in its rich history alongside the big bend in the Mississippi River.
The first owners of the plantation were the indigenous Houmas Indians, who were given a land grant to occupy the... (full profile)