Watercress and Sorrel Salad with Honey Vinaigrette
Watercress and Sorrel Salad with Beets and Goat’s Cheese with Scuppernong and Honey Vinaigrette (Serves 2)
Recipe Provided by: Chef Daryl Gassmann, Landings Club
· Peel or shave the beets and place in separate containers, starting with the candy stripe, then golden and red.
· In the candy stripe container cover shaved beets with cold water and a pinch of salt, in each of the other beets place 2oz each of vinegar and toss to coat evenly with a pinch of salt. (use gloves to prevent your fingers from being pink for two days)
· Toast and salt the pecans, then crush them into a meal.
· Roll the goat cheese into bite size balls and coat in the pecan meal.
· Prepare the vinaigrette by mashing the garlic clove with the basil leaf and a pinch of salt into a paste, then add the remaining honey vinegar and scuppernong jelly, whisk in the EVOO and check for salt
· Trim and wash the watercress and sorrel then toss with the candy stripe beets and arrange on the plate.
· Garnish with the golden and then the red beets (gloves )
· Ladle the vinaigrette evenly over the salad
· Place the goat cheese and serve
- 4 ounces watercress
- 8 ounces sorrel
- 1 candy stripe beet
- 1 small red beet
- 1 small Golden Beet
- 5 ounces Goat cheese
- 2 ounces toasted Pecans
- 3 ounces scuppernong jelly
- 8 ounces honey vinegar
- 4 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 basil leaf