Sweet Potato Funnel Cake
WHAT TO DO
1. Pour the oil into a deep pot or deep skillet, and heat to 375 degrees. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Beat the egg, brown sugar, sweet potato puree, and milk together in a large bowl until well blended. Gradually add the flour mixture, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
3. Using your finger to close the opening, pour 1/2 cup batter into a funnel with a ½ inch wide spout. Release your finger, and drizzle the batter into the hot oil using a circular motion to make a 4 to 6 inch circle, then cross over the circle to make a spiral pattern. Cook until golden brown. Turn the cake over to cook the bottom side. Use a slotted spoon to remove from the oil, and drain on paper towels. Cool for a few minutes and top with cherry sauce. Dust generously with powder sugar and whatever toppings you desire.
Bing Cherry sauce:
1. In a small saucepan over medium high heat add butter, brown sugar, vanilla and cherries. Stir until constantly until fully incorporated, about 3 minutes.
2. Allow sauce to cool. Serve warm over funnel cake.
- ½ gallon canola oil for frying
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup confectioners sugar, for dusting
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 cup Bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract