Spicy Vietnamese Beef Stew with Vegetables
WHAT TO DO
1. Season meat with 5 spice powder and curry powder. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Put onions and meat into pot and sear until meat browns and onions caramelize.
2. Lower heat to medium and add beef stock, tomato paste, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, serrano peppers, and lemongrass. Cook for 35 minutes. Add tofu and baby bok choy and season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot and simmer over low heat for 10 additional minutes.
3. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with lime wedges and cilantro. Serve with vermicelli noodles or rice.
- 1 ½ lbs. skirt steak, sliced
- 2 tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- 1 ½ tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4-5 c. beef stock
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 star anise
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 serrano peppers, split and seeds removed
- 1 lemongrass stalk, thinly sliced
- ½ block of firm tofu, cut into medium size
- 3 ea. baby bok choy, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedge
- 8 cilantro sprigs, for garnish