Spicy Jalapeño Hushpuppies
WHAT TO DO
In a deep fryer or large pot, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, chives, baking powder, salt and garlic powder.
In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk and vinegar. Add to cornmeal mixture, and stir until blended. Fold in jalapenos and cheddar cheese.
Drop a teaspoon of hushpuppy mixture into hot oil. Fry on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve.
- 6 cups canola oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheese