Smoked Turkey Necks with Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
1. In a skillet or a large Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper.
2. Add peas, smoked turkey necks and chicken stock. Bring to a rolling boil, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Allow peas to cook for 30 minutes or until tender. Add okra and tomatoes and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Serve with steamed white rice.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound black-eyed peas, rinsed, sorted and pre-soaked
- 6 smoked turkey necks
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ pound fresh okra, sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup steamed white or brown rice, ready made