Scratch Red Velvet Ice Cream Cake
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Adjust oven rack to middle position.
2. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and eggs. In a small bowl, mix cocoa with food coloring until a smooth paste forms.
3. With electric stand mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as necessary. Add one-third of flour mixture and beat on medium-low speed until thoroughly mixed, about 30 seconds. Add half of buttermilk mixture and beat on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds.
4. Alternate flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, ending with flour, scrape down bowl as necessary. Add cocoa mixture and beat on medium speed until completely incorporated, about 30 seconds.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Place a ring mold over each layer of cake. Remove the ring mold from one layer and set aside. While cake remains in ring mold, spread soft “Chocolate Chip” ice cream on top. Place second cake round on top of ice cream layer. Press down firm, then place ice cream cake in freezer for 4 to 6 hours until frozen solid.
7. Remove frozen cake from freezer. Press down on cake to remove metal ring mold. Spread cream cheese frosting over entire cake. Garnish with shaved chocolate or chocolate chips.
1. With electric stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
2. Add cream cheese, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Beat in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. natural cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ c. granulated sugar
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 c. confectioners sugar
- 16 oz. cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces, softened
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt