New Orleans Style “Huevos Rancheros” with Hot Sausages
WHAT TO DO
1. Add flavored oil or butter to a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Then add sausages, onions, jalapeños and Poblano peppers. Cook until sausages and vegetables are caramelized and fragrant about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add red beans and cook for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
2. Add butter to a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Crack eggs into pan and fry to desired doneness. Season eggs with creole seasoning. Break yoke and turn over to cook. Remove eggs from pan and set aside.
3. In a cast iron skillet over medium high heat add olive oil and 4 corn tortillas. Fry on both sides until crispy. Remove from skillet and set aside. Slice 1 tortilla into thin strips. Add tortilla strips to skillet and fry until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside. Place whole tortillas on a plate. Top with red beans and sausage, eggs, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, salsa, crispy tortilla strips and cilantro. Garnish with jalapeno and lime wedges. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired.
- 2 tbsp. flavored oil or butter
- 2 hot beef sausage, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 Poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 c. red beans, cooked
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 whole chicken eggs, fried-yoke broken
- 1 pinch creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 homemade fried corn tortillas or store bought
- ½ c. cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. sliced jalapenos
- 1 c. mild salsa, ready made
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, charred (for garnish)
- 1 Poblano pepper, charred (for garnish)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (for garnish)