Low Fat Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place chicken, broth, onions, garlic, jalapeño pepper, salt, pepper and bay leaf into a medium pot over medium-high heat. When pot comes to a boil, cover and reduce to medium heat. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until chicken easily pull from the bone.
3. Remove chicken from pot and shred using a fork. Place into a medium bowl and pour 1 cup of enchilada sauce over chicken. Mix well and set aside.
4. Pour ½ cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Place chicken mixture and cheese onto each tortilla. Roll tortilla and place seam side down into the casserole dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese has melted through. Garnish with sour cream, avocado slices, fresh tomatoes and cilantro.
- 4 chicken breast on the bone
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28-ounce can of red enchilada sauce
- 3 cups low fat cheddar cheese