Laura Crawford's Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
· Preheat oven to 450. Stir dry ingredients, cut shortening into flour mixture until it looks like meal.
· Make a “well” in dry ingredients and add buttermilk all at once.
· Stir with fork and avoid over handling.
· Turn dough into lightly floured ball.
· Knead quickly and lightly, 3-4 times.
· Roll dough into ¼ inch thickness for thin crusty biscuits.
· Cut into circles and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet, for crusty sides.
· For soft sides place close together on round layer pan. Hint: bake on shiny pans.
· Darkened pans will cause crust to be too dark.
· Bake 8-10 minutes or until tops are light brown.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup Crisco (vegetable shortening or butter)
- ½ tsp. soda
- 1 cup buttermilk