Fried Green Tomato Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
What To Do
1. Place flour in a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish whisk together eggs and the water just until combined. Place cornmeal in a third shallow dish. Season tomato slices with salt, pepper and paprika on both sides. Coat each tomato slice with flour, shake off excess. Dip into egg mixture, then coat with cornmeal.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add tomato slices, a few at a time, and fry about 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through. Drain on paper towels.
3. In a large bowl, toss together mixed greens, lettuce, radishes, corn, and bacon. Transfer to a large serving platter. Top salad with fried green tomatoes and poached eggs. Drizzle with buttermilk dressing.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoons water
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 3 medium green tomatoes cut into ½ inch slices
- Salt and Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup bacon fat or olive oil
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup watercress
- 3 radishes, thinly shaved
- ½ cup of fresh corn (off the cob)
- 4 strips hickory smoked bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
- 2 eggs, poached
- Buttermilk dressing, ready made