Deep Fried Mexican Chimichangas
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat oil in a cast iron Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium cast iron skillet over medium high heat add olive oil, steak, onions, red and green bell peppers, jalapeños and garlic. Season with Mexican salt and pepper. Sauté until steak and vegetables are cooked about 10-12 minutes.
3. Remove steak mixture from pan, and set aside. Spoon 6 oz. of steak mixture into flour tortillas. Roll into burritos tucking the ends in tight. Stick toothpicks into the seam of each burrito to hold it together while deep frying.
4. Carefully drop each burrito into the Dutch oven filled with hot oil. Fry until crispy about 3 minutes. Remove burrito from oil with a pair of tongs and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool and drain.
5. Garnish with lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, crema, Mexican cheese, lime and cilantro. Serve with refried beans.
- ½ gallon canola oil for frying
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Carne Asada steak, cut into strips
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 charred jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- Mexican salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 dz. toothpicks
- ½ head iceberg lettuce
- 2 avocados, ripe but firm
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 c. Mexican crema
- 2 c. Mexican cheeses
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ c. refried beans, cooked