Cuban-Style Pesto Steak Sandwich
WHAT TO DO
1.) On a medium plate, marinate the steak with lemon and orange juices and fresh garlic for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate.
2.) In medium cast iron skillet, heat olive oil then place steak in heated skillet and sear steak for 6-7 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Before removing from heat, add remaining marinade from plate. While steak is cooking.
3.) Remove dough from inside bread, butter inside and outside of bread. Using a stove top pan grill, toast bread on each side until you have nice grill lines. Remove steak from heat, place on cutting board and let cool.
4.) Spread pesto on both sides of bread. Place steak pieces on bottom half of bread. Layer on cheese, tomato and red onion. Top with other half of bread and serve.
- 6 inch Cuban or Italian bread, inside dough removed
- 1 lb. prime skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons ready made pesto
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 4 slices of Manchego cheese
- 1 thick slice heirloom tomato
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion sliced