Beer Braised Beef Short Rib Tostadas
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season meat thoroughly with Carne Asada seasoning. When the oil is hot, working in batches, add the meat to pot and sear for about 3 minutes on each side or until the pieces have formed a brown crust. Remove meat from pot and set aside.
2. Add onions and chilies to the same pot over medium high heat. Cook and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until onions and chilies start to brown. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Pour in dark beer and turn down heat to a low simmer. Stir in green enchilada sauce and chicken stock and simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Add short ribs to pot, meat should be covered in liquid. Allow meat to slow cook for about 3-4 hours or until falling off the bone. Season stock with black pepper, oregano and salt. Using tongs or a couple of forks, shred the meat in the pot. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
4. Pour oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add tortillas to skillet and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 1-1 ½ minutes. Remove tortillas from skillet with tongs and place on a paper towel-lined sheet pan. Set aside.
5. To assemble tostadas: Place short ribs on tortillas and top with cabbage, fresh cilantro and Mexican Blanco cheese. Garnish with lime and Serrano peppers.
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 lb. boneless or bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp. Carne Asada seasoning
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, stemmed, skin removed, seeded and charred
- 2 dried serrano chilies, stemmed, seeded and charred
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 12-oz. bottle dark Mexican beer
- 12-oz. can green chili Verde enchilada sauce
- 1 c. low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 1 ½ tbsp. Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 5 corn tortillas
- ¼ piece green cabbage, shredded
- 1 bunch Fresh cilantro steams
- ½ c. Mexican Blanco cheeses
- 4 limes, sliced into wedges
- 4 Serrano peppers